Wednesday, June 27, 2012

peach shortcake


I have some sad news... My camera lens has gone kaput.  Well not completely, I can still take pictures with the manual focus, but the auto focus just sounds sick every time I try to take a picture, and I can't actually snap the shot.  So until I can get a new lens my pictures may be a bit out of focus... I also need a new eye glass prescription so I'm really not the best judge of what's actually in focus and what's not.  Anyway, I had such big plans for the story of the peach shortcake through pictures.  At least I was able to document the finished product.


Buttermilk Biscuits

2  cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup cold butter, margarine or shortening, cut into 8 pieces
3/4 cup buttermilk

Heat oven to 450°F. In medium bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Cut in butter, using pastry blender (or pulling 2 table knives through ingredients in opposite directions), until mixture looks like fine crumbs. Stir in buttermilk until dough leaves side of bowl (dough will be soft and sticky).
Place dough on lightly floured surface. Knead lightly 10 times. Roll or pat 1/2 inch thick. Cut with floured 2- to 2 1/4-inch round cutter. On ungreased cookie sheet, place biscuits about 1 inch apart for crusty sides, touching for soft sides.
Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately remove from cookie sheet to cooling rack.
 Stewed Peaches
from back to basics

1 can of peaches, drained
2tbs brown sugar
2 tbs white wine

In a pan over medium heat, stir peaches until warm.  Add sugar and wine and keep stiring until liquid reduces.

Cut biscuits in half and add peaches, whipped cream and serve with ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment