Wednesday, March 30, 2011

a long day at canada's wonderland

You know how you feel after a long hot day, waiting in endless lines and walking for miles at Canada's wonderland? It was pointed out to me the other day that that's what I looked like... I laughed my face off and realized how accurate a description it was. I felt like a long day at Canada's wonderland. Two whole weeks full of open and close shifts. That was it, opens and closes. It was exhausting and I'm so thankful that I made it through, even if I did look like I'd been hit by a bus.

The last two days off have been wonderful... frustratingly wonderful as much as that's an oxymoron. I decided to wake up as early as I could both days and spend my time catching up on some very missed baking.

I've been experimenting with spelt lately. It's kicking my ass. I wish I had a less dramatic way of explaining it but really, it's knocking me down over and over. Josh is adorably supportive, reminding me that I'm going to have to fail a lot before I'm successful. I get that, but I'm also impatient. Couldn't I succeed a little bit and fail a bit too instead of just failure after failure after failure? But I guess that's just my half empty way of looking at it. I did learn, and that's the point right? I learned that I don't really like spelt. So take that ancient grain. Ok, again with the drama, I don't completely hate you, but alone, I don't enjoy the way you taste. I do appreciate your health benefits, and I'm in love with the idea of you but I've yet to have any first hand experience with how wonderful you can be. I'll hold out though... and I'll change my mind if the day you work for me ever comes around, but until then you will have to share the bowl with other sturdier flours that actually do work for me.

End rant.

Day off one was spent coming to my spelt realization. To end the day of failure I made a dinner that I knew would feed my soul enough to put me back in the right head space for day two of baking.

It worked.


Lime grilled chicken over greens with strawberries, pecans, avocado, red onions, goat cheese and a maple balsamic dressing.

I love salad.

Day two day off was equally as wonderful as day one if you consider that I spent the whole time in the kitchen... but it was still filled with frustration. My oven hates me... I'm blaming it on the oven. (my inexperience with yeast could quite possibly have something to do with it too, but I'm still blaming the oven.) I made whole wheat rolls and oatmeal rolls, both recipes from school. They were alright... Maybe my expectations were too high... They had hard bottoms and tops that weren't golden brown enough. I think I'm going to have to fail a whack load more with this yeast business before I start making bread the way I can make cupcakes... Cupcakes I can do, especially when they come in the form of my chocolate cupcakes. I could make those with my eyes closed. I got asked to make cupcakes for a book club meeting and so to boost my ego I decided to make them fancy. Cupcakes I can do.


Chocolate cupcakes dipped in a mocha ganache and topped with a raspberry buttercream.

Side note: I managed to find a use for the freeze dried raspberries. Toot toot.

Of course I had leftovers... holy heck, delicious!



So this brings me to the end of two wonderfully frustrating days that in retrospect were kinda just wonderful. Next time I say I'm going to spend the whole day baking, I'll be sure to be more specific in saying I would like to spend two days baking goods that are successful... but I guess success is all relative...

At least I don't look like a long day at Canada's wonderland anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment