Monday, March 14, 2011

maple bacon spelt biscuits

Ever since I started using spelt flakes in my granola I've become a little obsessed.

I've got a lot of ideas, but very little experience with using spelt, so I've been researching as much as I can about this ancient grain. The idea for maple bacon biscuits came about while developing a fictitious menu for my final project in baking management class. There aren't many recipes out there for spelt biscuits, especially not with maple, so I decided to kinda wing it. I know you can't substitute equal parts of sugar for maple syrup so I made a slight adjustment... and then an extra 150g of organic spelt flour later to account for all that added moisture and the result was... well not too bad. Absolutely edible, but not overly mapley... or bacony. I ended up brushing the tops with maple syrup right after they got out of the oven which helped, but it wasn't what I was going for. Anyway, despite the lack of the two flavours in the title, these biscuits turned out super crumbly with a distinct nutty flavour from the spelt.

No comments:

Post a Comment