Sunday, July 24, 2011

heat wave

It's hot.  

I don't think I need to go further into that statement, it's pretty self explanatory.  Especially if you're fortunate enough to be living through this insane heat wave.
I work in a bakery, so the temperature getting up t0 90 while not always the most comfortable, is fairly expected.  The heat outside on the other hand is unlike anything I've ever experienced.  We've had some record breaking heat this past week, but Thursday the worst, supposedly... yesterday at the bakery was worse for me, but I was lucky enough to have Thursday off.  

Side note: yesterday it was so hot that all my butter cream was melting.. I'd pipe a rose and it would wilt right away.  I'd chill the butter cream in the fridge, and within minutes it would be melting.  I had to make two slab wedding cakes and the time constraint was so bad that I ended up finishing the second one with 10 minutes to spare...  in the fridge.  Yes, the walk in fridge.  But that's a whole other story entirely and that's not what this post is about, so back to what I actually did on Thursday during the hottest day of the year.

My girlfriend Stephanie asked me if I could help her with a cake order she had.  No problem, I love helping out.  Her air conditioner being broken the hottest day of the year and baking 2 cakes (because we had issues with the first one) in an oven when the inside of her house was already an oven... big problem.  We did it though, and thankfully had a small reprieve while decorating cookies in her mom's air conditioned studio.  Despite the heat, it was a wonderful time.  We even had a little helper, Coral, the granddaughter of the the woman who's cake we were doing.  




All in all, one failed cake and her house being 97, it was really a wonderful night.  Steph's since sent me a picture of the final cake and she did a wonderful job!  Next time though, air conditioning... or a sprinkler.

No comments:

Post a Comment