Thursday, March 22, 2012

cake batter rice krispie squares


I've made a lot of rice krispie squares lately.  It's pretty random because they're really not something I would choose to make a lot of, but we've had so many marshmallows and rice krispies around that making them into squares was just a logical decision.

Side note: the reason we had so many marshmallows and rice krispies around was because at Christmas I decided I was going to make a rice krispie house instead of a gingerbread house.  It was an epic fail and because of that there were a lot of leftover ingredients.  I've long since finished using the festive version of the cereal and original bags of marshmallows, but when I had to make Shane his birthday cake, I had to stock up again... so these were born out of a desire to use up the new collection.

I've heard of using cake mix to add a distinct flavour in the treats before, and I though it was a good time to try it out for myself.  I won't lie, I didn't really taste the cake in them (and neither did one of my sisters or my mother in law) but they were still delicious.  Plus, you really can't go wrong with sprinkles.


Sprinkles.


More sprinkles.




Cake Batter Rice Krispie Squares

3 tablespoons butter
1 10-ounce bag of mini marshmallows
1/4 cup yellow cake mix
6 cups rice krispies cereal
1 1.75-ounce container of sprinkles

Melt butter in a large saucepan over low heat and add marshmallows. Stir until they begin to melt, adding in cake mix one spoonful at a time so its combined. Stir in cereal so it is completely coated with marshmallow mixture. Sprinkle in half of the sprinkles and mix. Press into a baking dish (any size will do) and top with remaining sprinkles. Let sit for about 30 minutes before cutting. I find spraying a knife with nonstick spray helps to cut them.

 Note: I didn't use a container of sprinkles, I just used a few tablespoons of what I had on hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment