Friday, March 9, 2012

chocolate cupcakes with coconut cream cheese frosting


My littlest sister Dawn had a baby!  And not just a baby, but a leap day baby!  There's really no better way to celebrate then with cupcakes.  Everything is said better when cupcakes are involved. 

 I get to meet her next week, and I'm so excited.  It will be worth the 10 hour drive with my own 31 week pregnant body... I just hope I can manage to not pee every half an hour like I usually do. 

Even though I wasn't there, and haven't met the little one yet, I felt inclined to bake my own celebration for the happy family.  I've had a thing for chocolate and coconut lately.

Classic (One-Bowl) Chocolate Cupcakes
Yield: 12 standard cupcakes

3/4 cup (90 grams/3 ounces) all-purpose flour
3/4 cup (150 grams/5 ounces) white sugar
1/4 cup (30 grams/1 ounce) dark cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoon (2.5 grams) baking soda
3/4 teaspoon (2.5 grams) baking powder
3/4 teaspoon (2.5 grams) cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon (3 grams) salt
1/3 cup (70 mL) buttermilk
1/4 cup (60 mL) brewed coffee or espresso, hot
3 tablespoons (45 mL) vegetable oil
1 egg, room temperature
1 1/2 teaspoons (7.5 mL) pure vanilla extract

1. Preheat oven to 350° F and line a muffin/cupcake pan with your favourite cupcake liners.
2. In the bowl of electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, sift all dry ingredients.
3. Add all remaining ingredients to bowl with the dry ingredients and mix for 2 minutes on medium speed (you may need the plastic splashguard that comes with mixer) and pour into prepared cupcake pan until 2/3 full (or just less).
*Batter will be liquidy, and cupcakes will rise.
4. Bake for 15-17 minutes, or until toothpick or skewer comes out with a few crumbs. Try not to over bake. Carefully remove cupcakes from the pan immediately (it’s hot!), and place them on a wire rack until completely cool.

Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting
from back to basics

8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
3 cups sifted icing sugar
1/4 cup of sweetened desiccated coconut plus more for dipping

In a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the cream cheese and butter.  Add the icing sugar a bit at a time until until icing is smooth, and then add the 1/4 cup of coconut.

Ice the cooled cupcakes with the cream cheese frosting and then dip the tops in more of the sweetened coconut.




It was a great solo celebration, and I just can't wait till I get to meet the baby and celebrate for real with the happy family!

Congratulations Dawn and Steve!

No comments:

Post a Comment