Saturday, March 3, 2012

granola


There are a lot of granola recipes out there.  In fact, I think that a lot is a bit of an understatement.  My main goal in developing this partictular granola was to see if I could replicate what we used to buy from the St. Jacobs Market.  When we moved to St. Catharines I think we went through granola withdrawl.  It's taken about a year and a whole lot of experimenting with different quantities and oven temperatures, but I would say I've finally figured out exactly what makes it work.  To be totally honest, I don't have any idea if it's as good as the kinds from St. Jacobs it's been so long since I had them, but it's the best one I've made yet, and that's good enough for us.




Granola
by back to basics

2 cups old fashioned oats
2 cups spelt flakes
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup maple syrup or honey
1/2 cup raw pecans
1/2 cup raw walnuts
1/2 cup raw whole almonds
1 cup raw unsweetened coconut

Preheat oven to 250

Mix the oats and nuts together.  Add the oil and maple syrup and mix well.

Spread on a baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes.  Remove from oven and stir, then bake again for an additional 10 minutes.

Once it's out of the oven, add the coconut and enjoy!

Note: This recipe makes enough to fill a 2L container of ice cream.  That's what we use to keep it in and it doesn't last very long around here, so I usually make two batches.  I've tried just doubling the recipe, but it is inconsistent and doesn't turn out very well when doing it that way, so I tend to make one batch and then do the other.  I bake it in the oven at the same time on two cookie sheets, I just don't mix them together.


 The beauty of this recipe is how easily adaptable it is based on what you have on hand.  Don't have spelt flakes, use all oats.  Don't have all the nuts needed, or don't like those kinds? Add whatever nuts you have or like.  Don't like coconut? Don't add it!  It really is that easy and it really is delicious.

 Other ideas for additions:  raw pumpkin seeds, dried fruits, (if using dried fruit it's my personal preference to add it with the coconut after baking) dark chocolate pieces or cocoa nibs... really, if you like it, try adding it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment