Tuesday, February 21, 2012

a little bit of citrus


I love spring.

I love that that despite the snow and frigid mornings there's just something different about the air these days.  I love that even without day light savings it's light out until 6pm, and that there's only a bit more than a week to go before it's March.

So exciting!

If there is one thing I love about winter though, it's that oranges can be found in abundance.  I haven't always liked the combination of orange and chocolate, but it's apparently a flavour I've grown to appreciate.



Double Chocolate Brownies

4oz unsweetened chocolate
4oz unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla
2 large eggs
1 cup flour
2 tbs cocoa
1/2 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 9x9" pan.

Melt butter and chocolate in a double boiler and remove from heat.  Add sugar, salt and vanilla.  Mix in eggs one at a time.  Add flour and cocoa and mix for 30-60 seconds.

Bake for 35-45 minutes (depending on the oven)

Cool on a cooling rack.



Orange Cream Cheese Frosting

4oz cream cheese softened
4oz unsalted butter softened
2 tsp orange zest
1-2 tbs juice from orange
2 1/2 - 3 cups powdered sugar

Cream the cream cheese and butter until smooth.  add the orange zest, orange juice and  powdered sugar.  Mix until smooth.


I won't lie, I ate way too many of these in a single serving, they were just that delicious... it was even worth the battle wound. 

Side note: I burn myself WAY too much!

1 comment: